So I think I’m at a stage now with Labby that I don’t need a fresh page for every one I make. Instead, I’ll summarise briefly what yarns and needles I used, the biggest takeaway, and any essential notes for future projects.
For #5, I followed the same adjustments as Labby the Second. He’s much smaller this time because I used 2.25mm needles and fingering weight yarn (Mulled Wine Spice leftovers from Mothy and the Squid).
Labby V has a (very loose, needs better stitching) pose-able tail with a pompom at the end (also too loose); a cat-ears hat, and a lovely green bow to tie his fair-isle vest at the neck.
I had to glue his eyelids to his eyeballs to keep his grumpy expression, but he looks pretty dang good imo.
The Two Callies
I was originally going to use this yarn (Break In At Tiffany’s, a 75% merino/25% nylon fingering weight blend from Needle and Fred) for a pair of fingerless gloves for my BFF but I didn’t like how it was working up. I decided instead to knit a pair of blue calico Labbies with a heart between them.
I also used 2mm and 2.5mm DPNs and some of the 103 and 108 blue Drops Fabel from my stash.
- I really need to figure out how to add a couple of stitches so he’s wider. Knitting him in the round just makes him tall and thin and that’s not nearly as cute as the original.
- Unfortunately, my plan to sell may be short-lived as Labby the Fifth took over 10 hours to make. If I continue to charge £5 an hour for labour (which is significantly less than minimum wage in the UK), he’s still got to sell for at least £50 (minus materials, which would bring him up to £62 and change. To profit, I’d need to sell for at least £65, and preferably £70).